GECA is extremely excited to announce the certification of the new Koala Mattress Range, GECA’s first-ever fully certified mattresses. From the makers of Australia’s most-loved mattress comes the brand spanking new mattress range featuring the Koala Mattress, the Koala Calm As and the Koala Soul Mate.
All three new Koala Mattresses are cleverly designed and jam-packed with technical know-how, helping you fall asleep faster and stay asleep for longer. You can rest easy knowing they were also made with people and planet in mind, as all are certified under our Furniture Fittings, Foam & Mattresses (Level A) standard.
“When a product is GECA certified, consumers can be sure that the product has been independently assessed to meet environmental, human health and social impact criteria. Importantly, it has also proven to perform as promised,” explains GECA’s CEO, Michelle Thomas.
“We are so proud to support them through their journey and welcome them to the GECA family of licensees and congratulate them for achieving GECA’s first fully certified mattresses!”
Being the first isn’t a new thing for Koala. They started their journey as trailblazers, disrupting tired industry practices with a simple, eco-centred and tech-savvy way of creating and selling furniture. Their multiple design awards and GECA certification show that it’s possible to create quality, thoughtful, affordable furniture with positive impact.
Both Koala and GECA believe that business can only thrive if society and nature also thrive. So, it’s not surprising that we are both proud certified B Corporations.
“We wanted to create a new customisable mattress range for everyone. And I think we outdid ourselves with three mattresses that highlight our dedication to creating products that have a minimal impact on the environment,” said Mitch Taylor, Koala CEO and Co-Founder.
“Improving Australia’s most loved mattress, originally released in 2015, was no mean feat. We listened to customer feedback and applied it directly to our new designs – and clearly, we need to get more Aussies sleeping better; our national sleep deficit is pretty bloody scary”.
What makes GECA certified mattresses a better choice?
Our rigorous lifecycle ecolabel standards follow ISO 14024 principles for global best practice. These standards are then assessed independently by our third-party Assurance Providers. GECA is also the only Australian member of the Global Ecolabelling Network (GEN).
Here’s a snapshot of the significant benefits of being certified under GECA’s Furniture Fittings, Foam & Mattresses (Level A) standard:
• The product must avoid the illegal harvest of wood and fibre for raw materials
• Emissions to air and water are heavily restricted, reducing formaldehyde and particulate matter
• The product (including its packaging) must be easy to recycle or dispose of in an environmentally responsible way
• Replacement parts must be made available to users to prolong product life
• Fabrics and adhesives should be GECA certified (or equivalent) only
• There are limits on heavy metals in final products
• There are restrictions or bans on known carcinogens, mutagens or other specific harmful substances
• Volatile organic compounds are limited
• Workers and suppliers through the supply chain can expect fair pay, equal opportunity, and a safe working environment
• There are requirements for lawful conduct and environmental compliance
• There are to be no unsubstantiated claims, i.e., greenwashing
Fit for purpose
• On top of all these essential environmental, health and social criteria, the product must also be fit for purpose. That is, it must do what the manufacturer claims it does. There’s no use having a sustainable product if it doesn’t deliver on its promise!
• To become GECA certified, a product or service must prove that it can perform its intended purpose or application
As Koala says, “Simply put, buying a GECA certified mattress means prioritising your health and supporting businesses that care about people and the planet while encouraging more companies to get on board.”
Each new mattress comes with a simple, no worries 120-night trial so you can test the benefits before making a final decision. Don’t think, feel. Free and fast delivery makes it easy to buy, easy to try, and easy to return. In metro areas, Koala delivers for free to your door in four hours.
Meet Koala’s new mattresses
The New Koala Mattress
The New Koala Mattress suits any sleeper, with all the best bits of the Original Koala and more. The sleep surface is made from TENCEL™ Lyocell and comes with a 7cm comfort layer, not to mention three high-density support zones that take the pressure off. Together, these elements help your body feel cool, dry and supported, making falling (and staying) asleep a breeze.
The Koala Calm As Mattress
The Koala Calm As Mattress is cool as a cucumber. Designed with a 7cm comfort layer using COOLMAX® fabric and a 1cm quilted cover, it’ll feel mighty cool on your skin and help you fall asleep faster. This mattress also comes with three high-density support zones combined with multilayer zoning for a comfortable, calm slumber.
The Koala Soul Mate Mattress
The Koala Soul Mate Mattress offers up the works designed to anticipate your every desire. There are easily customisable firmness levels along with multi-layered five zoned adaptive foam springs crafted to support you where you need them most. Then there’s a layer of perforated bamboo charcoal memory foam that is naturally antimicrobial and takes the sting out of heat, relieves pressure and promotes airflow. The Soul Mate is a surefire way to fall asleep faster and stay asleep for longer.