Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) has made significant revisions to its two furniture standards and is seeking comments from industry professionals on the proposed new standards.
The standards, Furniture Fittings & Foam (Level A), and Furniture and Fittings (Level B), have been updated and revised. Furniture & Fittings (Level B) was due for revision in accordance with the GECA Scheme Rules, and due to overlapping criteria, Furniture Fittings & Foam (Level A) was also revised at the same time.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Improved alignment between both furniture standards and simplification of wording for some criteria
- Changes to material requirements for fabrics and adhesives
- Addition of a new criterion addressing issues of supply chain and human rights
- Inclusion of mattresses within the scope of the Furniture, Fittings & Foam (Level A) standard
- Stricter requirements for formaldehyde emissions in the Level A standard
- Changed requirements regarding product warranty periods
- New requirements for Documents of Conformance in the Level B standard
GECA has incorporated feedback received from members of the Technical Advisory Group, and draft versions of each standard are now available for public comment and further review. GECA welcomes input from interested manufacturers, architects, interior designers, consultants, academics, environmental organisations and other interested parties.
The standards are open for public comment until Monday, 12 December 2016. More information on the changes is available on the GECA website and draft versions of both standards are available upon request.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback, or call the GECA office on (+61) 2 9699 2850.