Textile products have the potential to create significant environmental and human health impacts. These range from agricultural practices such as the use of biocidal agents in the production of natural textile fibres; oxygen depleting substances released into waterways during manufacturing processes; to skin irritation during use; and environmental damage caused by final disposal resulting from non-biodegradability, non-recyclability or toxic chemicals contained in finished products.
When a product is certified against GECA’s Textiles & Leather standard, consumers can be sure that the product has been assessed to meet environmental, human health and social impact criteria. The standard considers impacts over the lifecycle of textile products, including material sourcing, manufacture, packaging and use.
This standard applies to:
• Clothing and accessories consisting of at least 90% by weight of textile fibres
• Interior textiles consisting of at least 90% by weight of textile fibres
• Fibre, yarn and fabric (including durable non-woven fabric) intended for use in textile clothing, accessories or interior textiles
• Cleaning products: woven or non-woven fabric products intended for the wet or dry cleaning of surfaces and the drying of kitchenware
• Hide and leather products consisting of at least 90% by weight of leather/hide
The Better Buildings Partnership (BBP), of which GECA is a proud supporting member, in collaboration with Aurecon and the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA), has designed and delivered a Circular Fitout Toolkit for Offices. The toolkit combines circular fitout fundamentals with practical design guidelines.Read More See all news
Green Star is Australia's trusted mark of quality for the design, construction and operation of sustainable buildings, fitouts and communities. Choosing Green Star can help you save money, create a healthy place for people, minimise your environmental footprint and build a better future for us all.
|No matches were found - please try searching our full product database.
View All Case Studies