The rise of circular economy thinking creates new ways of approaching manufacturing and product stewardship across a breadth of markets. Making products from recycled content is a significant step to shift our economy from linear to circular. This standard strongly supports the progression of circular solutions.
When manufacturers create recycled products, they help keep materials out of landfill and groundwater and encourage new circular markets. Minimising the consumption of virgin resources can save water and energy as well as reduce pollution.
However, not all recycled products can be considered equal when it comes to the environmental, health and social impacts generated during their manufacture, use and disposal. So, GECA has developed the Recycled Products standard to define sustainable performance benchmarks for these products throughout their entire life cycle.
The standard sets requirements that aim to provide a benefit by:
• avoiding the illegal harvest of wood and fibre for raw materials
• reducing the use and subsequent release of environmentally harmful substances to the environment at all stages of the product’s life cycle, including ozone depleting substances
• encouraging recovery, reuse, recycling and responsible disposal of materials and packaging
• preventing the use of specific hazardous materials and toxic heavy metals such as known carcinogens and mutagens
• ensuring workers and suppliers through the supply chain can expect fair pay, equal opportunity, and a safe working environment
The standard is applicable to the following categories of recycled or reused content products:
• Fill and foundation materials; and
• Glass (Glass fines unsuitable for the manufacture of new glass containers only).
Most of us want to help protect the environment. After all, we only have one planet, and the time for action is now. But, with so many environmental claims and messages out there, it can most certainly be confusing. So here are some simple ways to identify credible claims!Read More See all news
Green Star is Australia's trusted mark of quality for the design, construction and operation of sustainable buildings, fitouts and communities. Choosing Green Star can help you save money, create a healthy place for people, minimise your environmental footprint and build a better future for us all.
View All Case Studies