The manufacture, use, and disposal of furniture products can negatively impact our environment and health, depending on factors such as the choice of raw materials used, coatings, textiles, and adhesives. Manufacturers may also use hazardous treatments or manage their energy and water use poorly during production.
However, manufacturers can still significantly reduce sustainability impacts across these products’ entire life cycle. This standard refers to the manufacture of the products and their constituent materials, the period of actual use and disposal.
When a product is certified against GECA’s Furniture and Fittings (Level B) standard, consumers can be sure that the product has been assessed to meet environmental, human health and social impact criteria, while also proving that it performs as promised.
GECA certification removes doubt and confusion and makes identifying environmentally and socially preferable products easier. Products certified under this standard are recognised by WELL, ISCA and the Green Building Council of Australia’s Green Star Performance tool.
The standard sets requirements that aim to provide a benefit by:
• avoiding the illegal harvest of wood and fibre for raw materials
• encouraging recovery, reuse, recycling and responsible disposal of unwanted product and packaging
• restricting emissions to air of formaldehyde and particulate matter
• preventing the use of specific hazardous materials and heavy metals such as known carcinogens and mutagens
• ensuring workers and suppliers through the supply chain can expect fair pay, equal opportunity, and a safe working environment
This standard is applicable to the following categories of indoor and outdoor furniture and fittings products:
• Office Chairs;
• Office Desks and Tables;
• Domestic Chairs;
• Domestic Desks and Tables;
• Bedroom Furniture (excluding bedding and mattresses);
• White Furniture;
• Fittings; and
• Recycled Furniture.
We’re delighted to announce that Woolworths has launched its newest and most sustainably focused collectible, with Woolworths Bricks set to help Australian families use creativity and play to learn more about good environmental choices.Read More See all news
Green Star is Australia's trusted mark of quality for the design, construction and operation of sustainable buildings, fitouts and communities. Choosing Green Star can help you save money, create a healthy place for people, minimise your environmental footprint and build a better future for us all.
|No matches were found - please try searching our full product database.|
View All Case Studies